This is the Novak Crusher 2S-4S Brushless Crawler ESC. The Crusher was born out of the need to fill the gap of a single multi-functional speed control that could accommodate a multitude of applications -- rock crawlers, rock racers, short course, and even the heavy-duty RC applications that have no category! The Novak Crusher 2S, 3S, and 4S-rated, sensor-based brushless ESC fills that gap and provides amazing power, response and speed at your fingertips. With auto-detect LiPo sensing and complete onboard programming, the Crusher takes user-friendly operation and on-the-spot adjustability to the next level. The Crusher is wired and ready to install. It includes a replaceable receiver harness, a full coverage heat sink, cooling fan, and its sealed case design means the Crusher is ready to rock right out of the box!
When used with Novak rock crawling brushless motors, the Crusher can operate in instant-reverse or Crawling Mode. This mode has proven to be a favorite among brushless rock crawlers and offers unique braking and forward/reverse operation that has no reverse delay, which allows instant reverse! This mode also features Novak’s exclusive powered hill/hold/drag brake when used with a Novak crawling motor. The powered hill/hold/drag provides the strongest automatic neutral point brakes to date. This means even the heaviest of vehicles will hold on the steepest of inclines. The 100% pure sensor-based design ensures ultra-fine, low speed control, and non-stop torque throughout the throttle range.
EXTREME SPORT/BASH MODE
When used with standard Novak brushless motors (or Novak crawling brushless motors*) the Crusher is a full-featured bashing ESC for 2S, 3S, or 4S LiPo setups. The Crusher is not your typical bashing ESC with limited settings, lock out modes, or slimmed down construction. The Crusher is based on Novak's pro race-level ESC platform, and has complete onboard adjustability with fan favorite default settings. The Crusher is suited for normal sized 540 motors, and will handle the larger 550 motors with ease as well.
RPM BOOST TIMING
Boost is back! Exclusive to the Crusher when used with Novak motors and 2S LiPo packs. But what is it? RPM Boost Timing is Novak’s race-proven Dynamic Timing Advance and Xtra Timing combined to give your motor higher RPM at full throttle! That's right, when you're tearing it up in the wide-open spaces, you can always use a bit more "braaap." That's exactly what RPM Boost does, it gives you a kick in the pants to get you there sooner! The ESC uses electronic timing advance to increase the motor RPM under specific motor RPM and throttle conditions to provide extra top speed.
The Crusher has been developed to be used with Novak motors and will switch between Extreme Sport and Crawling modes when you switch motors. No setting changes or adjustments to your motors are needed! Simply swap out your motor and the ESC will check for crawling or standard sensor info and automatically adjust accordingly. Standard race motors cannot be operated in rock crawling modes, but rock crawling motors can be forced into standard modes using the instant reverse feature.
No external programming box or PC device is needed. The Crusher’s complete onboard programming allows you to change your favorite settings using the simple to follow, color-coded LEDs on the ESC. Most drivers only have a few things they like to adjust. The popular settings are easy to remember and can be changed on the fly when needed.
EQUIPPED WITH NOVAK X-DRIVE™
Novak X-Drive™ provides incredibly smooth throttle response while maintaining an extremely connected and controlled feel. This motor-firing technology has been taking the racing world by storm and is now included in the Crusher. No ESC is complete without X-Drive™!
- Full-Coverage Heat Sink: For proper heat dissipation, the Crusher takes full advantage of its robust size and features a full-size, cross-cut heat sink that has direct contact with all of the power MOSFETs. Whether you are ripping through the high desert or climbing mountains in the heat of the day, the heat sink is the first line of defense against heat build-up. Cooling fan included.
- Heavy Duty High-Power PCB: The Crusher uses an extremely heavy-duty and thick PC board that is embedded with massive, pure copper traces to ensure your ESC performs at its best.
- Factory Installed Power Wires: The Crusher comes factory-installed with 14 gauge silicone battery and motor power wires that are easy to replace for factory-like, re-wire jobs. These power wires don’t just have a “14” printed on them – they are top-quality, Novak Super-Flex wires.
- High-Powered 5 Amp BEC: The Crusher’s built-in BEC is based on the proven linear regulator BEC in racing ESCs. This ESC provides 6 volts and up to 5 amps of receiver and servo power. If a high-amperage servo is used, an external BEC is recommended (Novak #5465 for 2S setups and #5463 for 3S and 4S setups).
- Low-Voltage Protection: A low-voltage LiPo protection segment has been developed and will monitor the LiPo pack voltage thousands of times per second. In order to prevent the pack from ever falling below the critical safety voltage, the ESC will simply reduce the power, slowing down the vehicle.
- Thermal Protection: The ESC keeps tabs on its core operating temperature and will reduce its power to prevent the ESC from overheating
- On-Board Temperature Diagnostics: With a quick tap of the One-Touch button, multi-colored LEDs will indicate how hot the ESC is for instant temperature information.
- Error Sensing: Sampling has been expanded to provide additional feedback via multi-colored LEDs, allowing for quicker trouble-shooting.
- Motor Lock-Up Protection: If your drive train or motor becomes bound up or jammed, the ESC will detect this and cut the power to prevent damage.
- Hall Effect Sensor Test: This built-in test allows you to confirm that your motor’s sensors and sensor harness are in good working order.
The Crusher Brushless ESC is compatible with 540 and 550-size sensored brushless motors. To engage the instant reverse and additional crawling mode features, a Novak crawling motor such as the Ballistic Crawler is needed. Refer to the specifications for motor turn limit and additional motor detail.
NOVAK BUILT AND SUPPORTED
Novak takes pride in its manufacturing facility in Irvine, California and also with its use of high-quality components and assembly and testing processes. Each Novak Crusher ESC is built and tested in the Novak factory to Novak’s exacting standards. All Novak products are supported by Novak’s knowledgeable customer support staff and race team.
- Rugged performance ESC for 2S, 3S and 4S rock crawling, rock racing, trail hauling, short course and non-racing “go-fast” setups
- Auto-detect LiPo Cutoff and ESC Thermal Overload Protection
- Novak RPM Boost Timing™ - Dynamic Timing Advance for increased RPM
- Novak’s Power Hill/Hold Brakes for extreme holding power in crawling applications
- Auto-detect driving profile - crawling and extreme sport
- Novak Super Tuner™ firmware for quick and easy onboard programming - external device not needed:
- Drive Tuning: RPM Boost Timing (2S), Drive Frequency, & Minimum Drive (Minimum Drive in Extreme Sport Mode only)
- Brake Tuning: Brake Frequency, Power Hill/Hold Brakes, and Minimum Brake
- Additional Tuning: Dead Band, Voltage Cutoff (Off/Lipo), Motor Rotation
- Novak X-Drive™ provides enhanced throttle response, ultra smooth power delivery, higher top speeds,
- and cooler operating temperatures
- Extreme-duty, built-in 5A BEC to handle the demands of today's high powered servos
- The original, Novak-developed, One-Touch Set-Up™ for quick and easy transmitter set-up
- Sensor-based system for excellent torque and low-speed drivability
- Sealed case with protective silicone gasket
- Included cooling fan with plug-in connector and hardware
- Compatible with 540 and 550-size sensored brushless motors
- On-board diagnostic temperature monitoring that lets you quickly check the ESC's temperature at any time
- Thermal overload protection circuitry to protect from overheating
- On-board Hall Sensor Test to easily and quickly verify that the motor's sensors are working properly
- Gold-plated, direct-solder wiring tabs for flexible soldering options
- User-replaceable input and switch harnesses, and motor sensor harness
- Carries Team Novak’s commitment to excellent quality and support, and a 120 day warranty
- Designed and manufactured by Team Novak in Irvine, California using the best components from around
- the globe. All ESCs are 100% tested to ensure your product works right out of the box and on the track!
- Motor Type: Sensored Brushless
- Fwd/Brk/Rev: F / Drag Brake / R (F / B / R when used with a non-crawling motor)
- Input Cells (LiPo/Ni-MH): 2-4S LiPo cells/4-14 NiMH (Lipo recommended for performance setups and when using RPM Boost Timing)
- Size (in/mm): 1.16x1.47x0.96" (29.5x37.3x24.4mm)
- Weight (oz/g): 1.42 oz. (40.4 g)
- On-Resistance (ohms): 0.00040 ohms @ 25°C trans. temp. (brushless)
- Motor Limit:
- Brushless 2S: 6.5-turn 540-size (13.5T Crawler); 4.5T 550-size
- Brushless 3S: 13.5-turn 540-size (13.5T Crawler); 6.5T 550-size
- Brushless 4S: 13.5-turn 540-size (13.5T Crawler); 7.5T 550-size
- BEC (volts / amps): 6.0 volts DC / 5.0 amps
- Wire Size (GA): 14G Super-Flex Copper-Strand Silicone Wire