This is the Novak Activ8 1/8th Scale Competition Brushless ESC with updated Super Tuner firmware. The Acitv8, now with Super-Tuner, has no shortage of features and is ready for any power-hungry 2S to 4S application. If you need an ESC that is beastly enough for your maniac driving style and heavy throttle finger, the Activ8 is what you have been waiting for! This pure, sensor-based brushless racing ESC is designed for the rigors of electric 1/8th scale buggy/truggy racing, but can also be used in 4WD short course trucks. The Activ8 features Novak’s X-Drive for ultimate driving performance, on-board programming for easy access to complete customization, and is built and supported by Novak Electronics in Irvine, California. The Activ8 has no shortage of features and is ready for any power hungry 2S to 4S application. If you need an ESC that is beastly enough for your maniac driving style and heavy throttle finger, the Activ8 is what you have been waiting for!
NOTE: Click here for details on the Super Tuner Interface and detailed programming information.
Your vehicle isn’t wimpy, so why put a wimpy controller in it? The Activ8 uses high quality and rugged components to ensure your vehicle keeps running pack after pack.
Complete On-Board Programming
- Novak's Super Tuner Interface: To put it simply, Novak Super-Tuner is an intuitive on-board programming system that allows more adjustability and tuning options than any other on-board programmable ESC on the market. No additional components are needed to unlock the full spectrum of programming features. Super Tuner has five completely adjustable and savable profiles that default to general settings that are suited to each type of racing - from non-timing spec-class racing to Dynamic Timing Advance setups. With the Super-Tuner interface update, Novak’s Activ8 has enhanced programming options, including finer control over the ESC’s timing level, and a wider selection of start and final RPMs. For insane speeds, the Activ8 also includes Novak’s Xtra Timing for 2S applications! This algorithm controls the second-level timing that is applied “on top of” the Dynamic Timing Advance when the exact conditions have been met. NOTE: The Xtra Timing feature is recommended for experts only!
- Full-Coverage Heat Sink: For proper heat dissipation, the Activ8 takes full advantage of its robust size and features a full-size, cross-cut heat sink that has direct contact with all of the power MOSFETs. Whether you are ripping through the high desert or tearing off laps at the local track, the heat sink is the first line of defense against heat build-up. A large cooling fan and fan guard are also included.
- Heavy Duty High-Power PCB: The Activ8 uses an extremely heavy-duty and thick PC board that is embedded with massive, pure copper traces to ensure your ESC performs at its best.
- Huge Power Wires: The Activ8 comes factory-installed with 12 gauge silicone battery and motor power wires that are easy to replace for factory-like, re-wire jobs. These power wires don’t just have a “12” printed on them─ they are top-quality, Novak Super-Flex wires.
- High-Powered Switching BEC: To cope with the demands of heavy-duty servos and the rigors of extended practice sessions with heavy vehicles, the Activ8 features Novak’s new high-powered switching BEC, which utilizes rugged components, for a clean and consistent 6 volts output.
- Equipped with Novak X-Drive: Novak X-Drive will provide incredibly smooth throttle response while maintaining an extremely connected and controlled feel. This motor-firing technology has been taking the racing world by storm and is now available for the larger scale, higher voltage applications. No competition ESC is complete without X-Drive!
To deliver unmatched performance and usability in the high-end, high-voltage ESC category, Novak engineers developed enhanced, on-board programming to ensure that customizing and tuning the Activ8 to your liking has never been easier. Gone are the days of special boxes, programmers, or lugging your expensive laptop to the dusty track. Nothing extra is needed, and making changes track-side is a snap!
Activ8 Adjustable Settings:
Added Protection and Enhanced Error Monitoring:
- Drag Brake: Allows tuning of the auto brake, drag brake or coast brake response
- Dynamic Timing: To disable, activate, and adjust the amount of Dynamic Timing Advance™ that is applied to motor
- RPM Set Range: Allows you to control when and how the Dynamic Timing engages with regard to the motor’s actual RPM
- Drive Frequency: The throttle response or sensitivity allows fine-tuning of the motor’s snap or feel
- Brake Frequency: The brake response or sensitivity, allows fine-tuning of the motor’s brake feel
- Minimum Drive: The lowest RPM the motor can start, which allows adjustment of the “punch”
- Minimum Brake: Initial brake tuning allows adjustability to how quickly or hard your brakes bite at first application
- Deadband: The space between the brake and throttle allows you to adjust your basic throttle sensitivity
- Low-Voltage Protection: A new low-voltage LiPo protection segment has been developed and will monitor the LiPo pack voltage thousands of times per second. In order to prevent the pack from ever falling below the critical safety voltage, the ESC will simply reduce the power, slowing down the vehicle.
- Thermal Protection: The ESC keeps tabs on its core operating temperature and will back down its power to prevent the ESC from overheating.
- On-Board Temperature Diagnostics: With a quick tap of the One-Touch button, multi-colored LEDs will indicate how hot the ESC is for instant temperature information.
- Error Sensing: Sampling has been expanded to provide additional feedback via multi-colored LEDs, allowing for quicker trouble-shooting.
- Motor Lock-Up Protection: If your drive train or motor becomes bound up or jammed, the ESC will detect this and cut the power to prevent damage.
- Hall Effect Sensor Test: This built-in test allows you to confirm that your motor’s sensors and sensor
- harness are in good working order.
The Activ8 Racing Brushless ESC was primarily designed for use with Novak’s Ballistic 8 Racing Brushless Motors, but is also compatible with Novak’s Ballistic 550 Racing Brushless Motors, and all popular 1/8th-scale (15XX-size), 550-size, and 540-size, 2 or 4-pole, sensored brushless motors.
Novak Built and Supported
Novak takes pride in its manufacturing facility in Irvine, California and also with its use of high-quality components and assembly and testing processes. Each Novak ESC and Brushless Motor is built and tested in the Novak factory to Novak’s exacting standards. All Novak products are supported by Novak’s knowledgeable customer support staff and race team. The hunt for the ultimate ESC has come to an end. Look no further and prepare to activate the true potential of your vehicle with incredible power, performance, and reliability!
- Compatible with Novak’s Ballistic 8, Ballistic 550, and all popular 2 and 4-pole sensored brushless motors
- Sensor-based system for excellent torque and low-speed driveability
- Novak Super-Tuner™ firmware for quick and complete custom tuning:
- Drive Tuning: Dynamic Timing Advance, RPM (Start/Final/Range), Drive Frequency, and Minimum Drive
- Brake Tuning: Brake Frequency, Drag Brake, and Minimum Brake
- Additional Tuning: Deadband, Reverse Disable, and LiPo Protection (On/Off)
- 5 profiles that can be independently customized and saved for multiple set-ups and easy trackside changes
- Novak X-Drive™ provides enhanced throttle response, ultra smooth power delivery, higher top speeds, and cooler temps
- Novak's Dynamic Timing Advance™ increases the motor's RPM dynamically through the throttle band for higher speeds (10-55 degrees in 2S; 10-39 degrees in 3S/4S)
- 6 specialized RPM tables of Start and Final RPMs for fine-tuning the Dynamic Timing Advance™
- Novak Xtra-Timing™ for 2nd level timing that dramatically increases motor RPM for unmatched power in 2S
- Novak's One-Touch Set-Up™ for quick and easy transmitter set-up
- NovaBrakes™ provide smooth, responsive, and extremely powerful braking for all driving conditions
- Highly water-resistant case with a dual-level protective silicone gasket seal to help keep out the elements and provide additional internal PC board shock absorption and support
- Robust 3-amp switching BEC for strong and fast steering response under any conditions
- Auto-detect LiPo battery protection circuitry automatically detects the battery voltage (2S/3S/4S) and reduces the power as needed to protect the batteries from going below the safety voltage
- Built-in diagnostics provides ESC temperature monitoring at any time with the quick tap of the One-Touch™ button
- Thermal overload protection circuitry to protect ESC from overheating
- On-board Hall Sensor Test to easily and quickly verify that the motor's sensors are working properly
- Includes ESC cooling fan with fan guard, and factory-installed, full-size cross-cut heat sink for cool operation
- Gold-plated direct-solder wiring tabs for flexible soldering options
- Built-in bank of high-powered, low-ESR capacitors for clean installations
- User-replaceable input harness, switch harness, and power wires
- Carries Team Novak’s commitment to excellent quality and warranty with factory customer support and service
- Designed and manufactured by Team Novak in Irvine, California using the best components from around the globe. All ESCs are 100% tested to ensure your product works right out of the box and on the track!
Fwd/Brk: F / B / R
Input Cells: 2-4S LiPo
Size: 40x54x31mm (1.57x2.6x1.22”)
Weight (w/o wires): 3.17 oz. (89.8 g)
On-Resistance: 0.0004 ohms @ 25°C transistor temperature
BEC: 6 Volts DC / 3.0 Amps
Wire Size: 12G Super-Flex Copper-Strand Silicone Wire
Motor Limit: All popular 2-pole and 4-pole sensored brushless motors