HPI Baja 5B 2.0 1/5 RTR Buggy w/2.4GHz Radio & 23cc Gasoline Engine
This is the HPI Baja 5B 2.0 1/5 Scale Ready to Run Buggy, with an included 2.4GHz Radio System and a 23cc Gasoline Engine. For 2013 the HPI Baja 5B receives a Matte finish treatment for an all around tougher and more distinctive look! The visuals are further enhanced by bold graphics to freshen up the overall look of the kits. Underneath the 2013 Baja 5B features a refined 23cc Fuelie Engine driving the ultra tough proven Baja 5B chassis, suspension and drivetrain. With standard features such as VVC/HD Shocks, 8000 RPM Clutch, High Flow Muffler, Viscous Torque Differentials, Monocoque Chassis, Dual Vented Disc Brakes and realistic high performance Beadlock Wheels the Baja 5B is a high performance machine right out of the box. The HPI 2.4GHz Spread Spectrum DSSS radio system is also standard equipment on the kit along with high performance servos and a built in fail safe function to prevent low voltage runaways.
When the designers at HPI released the original Baja buggy to the public, they didn't realize the absolute storm of popularity it would enjoy. Racers everywhere loved it, reviews from all over the world absolutely glowed with enthusiasm, shops ran out of stock and brand companies sprung up to make wild hop-ups for this one-of-a-kind machine. HPI had just as much fun tracking all the praise as we did for the Savage monster truck! Most encouraging of all, though, they heard back from customers everywhere about how much they enjoy their Baja, which is the best thing they could possibly expect.
After all that, you'll understand that when it comes to updating such a legendary car, you can't mess with the magic too much: HPI wanted to give their fans more of the same, without going overboard. It was a tricky subject, but HPI got it right on the money.
2.4GHz Radio System with Fail Safe
The electronics included in every Baja RTR buggy and truck have to be suitable to the task of handling a car nearly a meter long that can go over 35 MPH - that includes a handy built-in electronic fail safe to prevent a runaway Baja! The stock 2.4GHz radio system makes running your Baja safer and more enjoyable than ever. No need to worry about radio conflicts, crystals, or radio interference, this Baja is equipped with the latest Spread Spectrum radio technology that delivers worry-free driving. The heavy-duty steering servo now includes tough metal gears and an aluminum steering arm for extra durability. A powerful sub-C type 6-volt receiver pack powers the servos for confidence and longevity. You'll find that many Baja bashers don't find a need to upgrade the radio system, as it's already perfect for the task!
- Spread Spectrum DSSS - no frequency worries when running with dozens of cars at the same time
- 2.4GHz - high frequency operation eliminates radio interference
- Easy operation - simplified feature list avoids the complexity of computerized radios
- Ergonomic design - comfortable pistol grip handle and foam steering wheel
- No crystals needed - saves money and improves reliability
- Built-in failsafe function - protects the car from low voltage runaways
- Steering dual rate - easily fine tune the steering to track conditions
- Servo reversing switches - quickly reverse the servos for multiple applications
- Low battery warning - a flashing LED indicates when the transmitter batteries are running low
- Body Colors: The tough body is now available in two all-new Action Sports inspired paint schemes: HPI Orange Graphics on Black and HPI Orange Graphics on Silver! These are pre-painted, pre-trimmed bodies that are ready to go right out of the box: no prep work needed! With their 2mm thick polycarbonate molded construction they will last for a very long time!
- Refined 23cc Fuelie Engine: The refined 23cc Fuelie 2 Stroke Engine combined with the High Flow Muffler and 8000 RPM clutch, let's you experience high top speeds, ripping acceleration and more than enough overall power to take you anywhere you want to go!
- High Flow Muffler: The High Flow Muffler is tuned to give you plenty of horsepower on the track. It sounds fantastic, too! When the Baja 5B is ripping past the pits, you will know it!
- 8000 RPM Clutch: Formerly an option part, the high performance 8000 RPM Clutch from the Baja SS is used to give you more punch off the line. Lightweight clutch shoes and a strong heavy-duty spring are the integral parts of this unit, and you will feel the power out of the turns.
- VVC/HD Shock Absorbers: These are the same damper units that equip the Baja SS, and are now standard parts for the 5B - these are oil-filled, externally adjustable coilover shocks for fantastic performance and heavy-duty action! Thick shock shafts provide security from crashes, threaded shock bodies allow instant ride height changes, and the externally adjustable design is tailor-made for trackside tuning.
- Torx T27 Engine Screws: The engine features tough Torx T27 screws to make maintenance and rebuilds less of a chore. Torx screws are easier to work with and provide less wear and tear on tools and screws, making them the ideal screw option for a Baja buggy engine!
- Gunmetal Anodizing: The very cool gunmetal look gives the Baja 5B the 'race' look, and it's easy to add a bit of bling with Baja SS or original 5B color parts.
- Fantastic Baja Features: The Baja 5B keeps the standard features that made the original Baja 5B such a stand-out large-scale buggy, and which continue to single it out from all the rest of the large-scale buggies - as well as all of the copies! The HPI Baja is the ONLY large-scale buggy line-up that has all of these great features!
- Scale Appearance: From the first glance, the Baja buggy looks just like the sand rails and desert racers you can see racing across the Sonora in Baja California, or blasting around the sands dunes of the American Southwest. Nothing else in the RC world comes close! From the bumper and front suspension, to the cockpit and rollcage, all the way to the wing and rear bumper, in the looks department, the HPI Baja is second to none.
- Extremely Durable: HPI has always been known for its extremely rugged cars and trucks, starting with our earliest touring cars and carrying on with monster trucks and large-scale machines. The Baja 5B uses the same suspension components as the Baja SS, so you know you've got a quality buggy in your hands. While the ones that came after the original Baja use cheap plastics and questionable methods to make their kits, the original is still going strong with original designs and compounds to keep you going, no matter what you put your Baja through!
- Monocoque Chassis: Still a unique item among the large-scale racing crowd, the Baja 5B continues to use the unique Baja monocoque aluminum chassis. The chassis formed from strong 6061 aircraft aluminum for light weight and strength, then bent into shape with computer precision to make it into an extra-rigid and super-strong platform for the engine, suspension and all other components of the Baja.
- Long Travel Suspension: For confidence-inspiring traction and control on any type of surface, the Baja 5B uses the amazing long-travel suspension used for all the kits in the Baja series. Extra-long oil-filled shock absorbers and durable suspension arms connect via specially tuned suspension geometry to give not only a fantastic look and style to the Baja buggy, but amazing versatility, tuning potential and great handling!
- Viscous Torque Differential: The totally unique Viscous Torque Diff in the Baja series delivers power smoothly to the rear wheels. It's set up out of the box perfect for most purposes already, but the diff can be tuned with different diff greases to suit any driving style or track. Hardened metal is used throughout the diff for reliable performance in all conditions.
- Dual Vented Disc Brake: To bring something the size and speed of the Baja buggy to a safe and controlled stop, the brakes need to be extra-strong, reliable and foolproof. This is why we use two steel plates for brake discs, both of which are drilled for lightness. To keep the discs cool under pressure, a fan-shaped spacer is used blast rotating air through the vent holes drilled in each disc.
- Long Wheelbase: In addition to everything else that makes the Baja 5B handle great, its long wheelbase is ideal for racing on large tracks designed for 1/5th scale vehicles, or just playing in big fields. The Baja 5B is more stable over jumps and rough ground than other large-scale cars, a tribute to its great suspension design and longer wheelbase.
- Electronic Fail Safe: Nitro racers have known for a long time that having a working failsafe system is important for those 'just in case' moments - some unforeseen event that could make their car go out of control. With a buggy as big as the Baja (over 800mm long and 9.5kg in weight!), this is even more important! The Baja 5B uses the same reliable electronic failsafe as all other Baja RTR kits. The adjustable failsafe setting ensures that should your Baja 5B lose radio signal, instead of flying out of control it will come to a safe and controlled stop! There's nothing like peace of mind!
- Sealed Radio Box: We know that most off-roaders love to blast through dirt, mud, water and more, so we protect the electronics of the Baja as much as possible with a sealed radio box. In addition to being under the body to protect from splashes, the radio box uses rubber plugs to provide access to the receiver battery and radio crystal, so you don't need to unscrew anything to get to these often-accessed items. If you do need to remove it, it's a simple matter of a few clips to take it out - no tools necessary!
- All-Terrain Tires & Beadlock Wheels: To allow the Baja buggies to go anywhere, we fit tires that are ideally suited for off-road conditions. Spiked rear tires and dash-style front tires provide the perfect amount of traction and control on nearly all dirt, gravel and grass surfaces. The Dirt Buster S Compound rear tires use a versatile square pin design that sheds mud and gets you the grip you need for massive top speed runs, while the Dirt Buster rib tires provide the direction and steering necessary for pinpoint accuracy on the track.
- High Capacity Fuel Tank with Clunk: The 700cc fuel tank takes pre-mixed 2-stroke fuel for run times of 45 minutes or more (if you're going slow, but who does that?), and the handy 'clunk' inside allows you to get upside down and not worry about the engine cutting out. So when you're mixing it up in traffic on the race track you won't have to worry about getting flipped upside down!
- Adjustable Rear Wing: For most Baja buggy owners, the rear wing is something that is never touched until the car needs to be picked up or flipped over. Racers, though, are a different matter: racers like to tune things and play around with settings to get a little extra edge. So for the racers, we made the rear wing of the Baja adjustable so you can get a bit of extra downforce on small tracks, or lower the wing a bit for more speed on big tracks. Will you feel the difference? Only you'll be able to tell!
- Hard Plastic Skid Plates: With tough nylon plastic skid plates front and rear, the chassis of the Baja 5B is protected from the inevitable hard landings, crashes and more that you're sure to encounter while you're running your Baja buggy. The skid plates are easily replaced, and are a much cheaper alternative than replacing the aluminum chassis or motor plate, so you won't be afraid to pull off those crazy jumps with your Baja!
- Complete Set of Ball Bearings: Finally, full set of high-quality ball bearings are used throughout the drivetrain for increased efficiency and long runtimes. Throughout the transmission and drivetrain, plus the front wheel hubs, ball bearings help keep maintenance to a minimum so you can just get out and run your Baja!
- RTR - Performance Straight From The Box: HPI makes it so easy for beginners to get into 1/5 scale! Just open the box, charge up the battery, add pre-mixed fuel and go! The Baja 5B is completely pre-built and ready to go right out of the box! Everything is assembled and tuned for you by professionals - engine connections, shocks and more are perfect before you even open the kit so you don't have to do a thing to get going fast! HPI Ready-To-Run models bring you the same high performance and quality that you'd expect from a high end model car kit but with the added convenience of being factory pre-assembled to the highest standards - giving you a high performance RC car straight from the box! HPI RTR cars are 98% factory assembled - they come Ready-To-Run and equipped with all the radio gear required. Just a few steps are needed to get your car up and running, such as adding the batteries to the transmitter and receiver and if you have a nitro powered car, running in the engine - which is now even easier with our comprehensive manual and HPI RC cars DVD which are both included in every box.
- Full Assembly Instructions and HPI RC Cars DVD: As with all HPI cars and trucks, you get a full, in depth instruction manual with step by step instructions that allow you to easily disassemble and reassemble your buggy for maintenance and easy servicing. The information on the HPI RC Cars DVD provides a complete and detailed introduction to the fascinating world of HPI RC model cars and trucks. This DVD will show you step by step how to start and run in an engine, plus how to get the best performance from your HPI RC car. The HPI RC Car DVD is your personal RC car expert in a box! Pre-Assembled 1/5th scale 2WD buggy with Fuelie 26cc gasoline engine, 2.4GHz Spread Spectrum radio system, 3300mAh receiver pack and painted body. Receiver pack charger not included. Includes a comprehensive instruction manual and HPI RC Cars DVD.
Needed To Complete:
- Pump Gas
- 2 Cycle Engine Oil
- 5 Litre Fuel Can
- (6) "AA" Batteries
- NiMH Compatible Battery Charger
This product was added to our catalog on March 28, 2013.
Super Saver Shipping!